25 Sheppard Ave. West
Suite 300, Toronto,
Ontario, M2N 6S6, Canada
Tel: 1-416-901-4015
Fax: 1-647- 547-1877






The Live-In Caregiver Program has been created by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to help Canadian families bring qualified caregivers to Canada to provide care for children, elderly or disabled persons. Such caregivers must live in their employer's private home and work without supervision.

The application process is similar to that for a work permit. A potential employer applies to get a positive labour market impact assessment (LMIA) from the Human Resources and Social Development Canada-Service Canada (HRSDC-Service Canada). Once the offer of employment is approved, a caregiver applies for a work permit to a Canadian Visa Office responsible for the country/ region where that person lives.

Eligibility requirement for a potential employer:

  1. Sufficient income to pay a live-in caregiver.
  2. Ability to provide acceptable accommodation in his/her home.
  3. Avaliability of a job offer that has primary caregiving duties for a child or an elderly or disabled person.

Eligibility requirements for a live-in caregiver:

  1. 19 years of age or older.
  2. Successful completion of the equivalent of Canadian high school education.
  3. At least six months of training in childhood education, geriatric care, pediatric nursing or first aid, OR at least one year of full-time paid work experience in a field similar to what you will do as a live-in caregiver. The work experience must have been within the past three years preceding the date of application.
  4. Good knowledge of English or French.

An employer and a caregiver must sign a legal contract outlining the responsibilities of the employer and the conditions of employment. The minimum wage that can be expected for this type of work is between CDN$8.00 and CDN$10.00 per hour, depending on the province. For example, in Ontario, the minimum wage is CDN$9.50 per hour, in the British Columbia - CDN$8.00 per hour. The minimum hours paid per week must be at least 40 hours. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will review the contract to determine if the employment contract is valid.

The greatest advantage for live-in caregivers is that after two years of employment in Canada they can apply for permanent residence and an open work permit. An open work permit allows them to work in Canada in any occupation without an HRSDC authorization.

At VANGUARD IMMIGRATION, we can help potential employers obtain a positive labour market opinion from HRSDC. Once an HRSDC authorization is obtained, we can assist a foreign national in applying for a work permit.

Vanguard Immigration © 2011